‘I’m pregnant.’ Not exactly the words you wanted to hear?
We understand. You’ve got some tough decisions to make.
Don’t lose your cool. Take it one step at a time. Learn about your options.
Valley Pregnancy Center have a team of men on our program called Man-2-Man who understand some of the questions you may have right now and are happy to meet with you one-on-one to fill in some of the blanks.
Although you may feel like you do not have control right now, you do have choices. What you do next will go a long way in defining the man you are and want to be.
Basically, you can handle it in 1 of these 6 ways:
1. Leave the decision up to your wife or girlfriend It can be helpful to understand that telling someone, “I’ll support you in whatever you decide,” or “Whatever you want to do is fine with me,” really isn’t supporting the other person because you are not being an active part in the conversation and conclusion. It puts the responsibility of making this decision entirely up to the other person, which may result in them feeling alone and not supported at all.
2. Suggest your wife or girlfriend get an abortion What we see most often in our clients who have chosen abortion, is that they thought that by having an abortion, they would become “un-pregnant.” Meaning, they believed an abortion would be like not ever being pregnant in the first place. If you are in a relationship that you want to continue, it will be helpful to understand how an abortion might affect your relationship. Valley Pregnancy Center can also help you understand all of the possible risks including physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual. Our client advocates can educate you on all of your options and answer any of your questions.
3. Raise and parent the baby with your wife or girlfriend.
4. Co-parent the baby separately (If you are no longer in a relationship with the mother of your baby.) Ask about how couple’s communication coaching can be helpful for two parents who are no longer in a relationship, but have agreed to co-parent the baby together.
5. Help your wife or girlfriend create an adoption plan If you conclude that parenting the child isn’t a good option for you now, you can take the lead in finding a good resolution through adoption. There are loving couples that are eager to make a home for a new baby many because they cannot have a baby of their own. The staff at the Valley Pregnancy Center can help you look at if this could be a good option for you while giving the gift of a family to a waiting couple.
6. Take off or do nothing
So Now What? Yes, this is a tough moment. But you are not alone. Call and ask to meet with one of the men from our Man-2-Man program to get the facts, understand your options and have any medically related questions answered by one of our nurses. All of our services are free and confidential.